Hidden by M. Lathan - Quotes/Highlights

I’d just broken a promise I’d made to God to not think about hurting His people, His children. And today was not the day to piss Him off.

God forbid their precious, unsupervised time with the boys from St. Mathew, the male orphanage next door, be revoked. The nuns used that threat for everything.

It was the last Friday of the month, and I’d pushed it by thinking of killing four times already, on the very day I had to go sit in God’s house with my unclean blood for mandatory Mass. One of these days, I may burst into flames when I take communion.

The stars are out, It’s time for bed. Now close your eyes, And rest your head. May angels shield you with their wings, As you dream your little angel dreams.

What could I say? Come in, girls. I’ve been meaning to tell you guys that I don’t care about Whitney. I don’t care about anything, actually … except detaching your skinny legs from your body and turning your bouncy hair to ash on my floor.

“Next rule,” Sophia said, accepting her apology with a nod. “No hanky panky.” “You may as well call this the Kill Paul Slowly Meeting,” he said. “Thank you, Paul. You’ve reminded me of another rule. No griping. If I ask you to do something, please just do it.

He wrapped his arms around me before I could answer, pulling me into his mind. I wonder if I’ll have to play the nice guy with her. She’s quiet. She won’t go for a bad ass. Or will she? Her bra is totally showing—

“You know … that’s exactly the face I’d make if I were pretending to be human. You’re good. You don’t look like you’re hiding anything at all.”

Nathan chuckled. “Sophia’s a kidnapper armed with freshly baked muffins. We’re all going to die.” He faked a horrified scream, threw his hand over his forehead, and fell to the floor. I laughed so hard my stomach hurt.

“You’re my first friend, too. And I won’t notice you being weird because I’m … pretty strange myself.”

And … Remi.” I cleared my throat. “She told me that you’re hers.” “What? Gross!” I chewed on my lip to stop myself from smiling and showing how pleased I was that he didn’t agree with her. “She called me a mutt about fifty times yesterday, told me I was a jackass to like being a shifter, and suggested that I should play in traffic. I’m not her anything.”

“We have the house to ourselves. Paul and Emma went to his parents’ house, and Remi is probably somewhere drowning kittens.”

“That’s why I wanted to be your friend. You smell better than everyone here. And the belly rub … obviously.”

“Have you ever avoided a mirror before?” I shook my head, trying not to fall in love with the look of us together.

“I can’t stop thinking about it now. All of this seems too unbelievable to be happening by chance. Me getting captured by a hunter who would snag a witch with a guardian angel a day later. That same guardian angel took a beautiful girl from school and put us under the same roof. I’m becoming obsessed with the idea of there being someone up there controlling all of this. I thought it was luck the first night, but after kissing you …”

“You better not be laughing at what I think you’re laughing at.” I covered my face, laughing even harder. “I turn into a dog. So what? I don’t eat dog food. I don’t take potty breaks outside. What else could you poke fun at?”

“She clearly belongs in an institution,” he said. “Totally, and I’ve been patient,” Nate said. “But the next time she says something to or about Chris, I’m going to shift, jump on her bed, and forget that I’m housebroken.”

“Baby,” he said. “I can assure you that my hobo smell isn’t that bad.”

“I would never ask you to change yourself for me. You’re perfect the way you are.”

She started to describe her methods of seduction, and I turned the page. She was my mother, and I wasn’t in the mood to throw up tonight.

Happy Birthday, Chris. I don’t have to tell you that I have no money, you know that. And here is where I resist the urge to mention that you’re far too rich to be bothered with someone like me (I just failed). A girl like you deserves the world, and I hope to be able to give it to you one day, but today I have breakfast and flowers from the garden of our next-door neighbor. Don’t worry, I grabbed them last night. No one saw. Thank you for being my girlfriend. I can’t believe I get to kiss you. Oh, by the way, you’re a great kisser. And I know you’re the only person I’ve ever kissed, but I can’t imagine it getting any better. (This is where you resist the urge to roll your eyes). Okay, Happy Birthday, again. I’m glad you were born, and all of those people who could’ve told you Happy Birthday over the years and didn’t missed out. Now, they’ll have to fight with me for your attention on every March 2nd from now on. It’s my favorite day now. Without it, there would be no Christine to make my life perfect.

What do you know? The nuns knew something after all. They knew how not to have sex.

“Enough girl talk,” Nate said outside of the door. “I’m hungry.” “Eat without her,” Emma yelled. “Not possible. I can’t seem to function without her. She’s my life.” In unison, Emma and I crooned, “Awww.”

“I love you,” I whispered. He closed his eyes tightly, like he was refusing to cry. “I love you more. I have loved you for days. I will love you forever.” Love. Nate loved me.

Sophia was right. My life was down right bizarre. Actually, I’d watched Lydia Shaw breastfeed me today. I’d say that was a little more than bizarre.

“He’s a boy. The male species reacts incorrectly ninety-nine percent of the time. He’ll realize it, and you’ll have to decide if you want to forgive him or not. Though … I think I know what you will choose.”

I tightened my arms around her and inhaled. I kissed her cheek, something I couldn’t do the last time we’d said goodbye. “I love you, Mom,” I said. Her response was incoherent. “You’ll be watching me, right?” “Of course.” “Keeping me safe?” “Of course.” “Be nice to Sophia.” “I’ll try.”

Nate sniffed under his arms, his toothbrush hanging out of his mouth. “I’m still good. I took a hobo bath last night before I woke you up.” I laughed and made him describe the specifics of a hobo bath. It shouldn’t be called a bath at all.

“Oh … that reminds me,” she said. She snapped twice and black pumps appeared in her hands. “Your shoes. Unless I can have these, too.” I stared at them. There was something inexplicably troubling about them. “Oh!” I covered my mouth, embarrassed. “I stole those from Lydia Shaw.” Her eyes widened and she threw them on my bed like she wanted nothing to do with them now. “I’m sure it’ll be fine. I’ll just give them back.”

He looked at me then at her, then back to his breakfast. “Christine and I are together,” he blurted out. “I love her. Please don’t hurt me.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Hidden: A Crossroads Tale

The Soul Healer by Melissa Giorgio

Review: Touched by Grace